LLTI Archives

March 2007, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 09:15:45 -0400
From: "Mark R. Lauersdorf" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:51:26 -0500
Subject: rules and regs for facility/equipment reservations and checkout

Hello all,

We've had luck with funding lately and have been able to set up a new small
studio with digital development stations and a range of digital devices to "take
on the road" (cameras, camcorders, digital audio recorders, etc.).

I'm curious if anyone out there has a set of established rules and regulations
that they have found effective and would like to share regarding:

1) reservation of the studio facility
a) who controls the keys?
b) use on first come, first served basis?
c) evening, multi-day, and weekend reservations and access?

2) checkout of portable equipment
a) duration of checkout?
b) recall procedures?
c) checkout for local use vs. long-distance (even overseas) travel?

3) eligible users (of both studio *and* portable equipment)
a) faculty only?
b) grad student TAs for teaching?
c) grad students for course projects?
d) faculty supervision of grad students necessary?
e) also undergrads with faculty supervision?!
f) required training before use?

The facility is conceived first and foremost as a faculty workspace, and the
idea is to try to make this facility and its equipment as
self-governing/self-monitoring as possible (!), using the rules and regulations
to provide order and accountability.

This may be a utopian vision, but I'm curious what others have done to set up
rules and regs for this or similar scenarios.  Please use the items above as a
guide, but do not limit yourselves to them.  I'm sure that there are many issues
that I have not addressed in this skeletal outline.

Thanks in advance for any input that anyone may have.

Mark

-----------------------------------
Dr. Mark Richard Lauersdorf
Associate Professor of Languages and Linguistics
Director of Language Technology
Department of Modern & Classical Languages
Department of Hispanic Studies
1055 Patterson Office Tower
University of Kentucky
Lexington, Kentucky 40506-0027, USA