LLTI Archives

March 2007, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 12:59:49 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 09:49:06 -0500
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #8482 Server advice needed

We recently had a Sanako 300 installation and I was determined to be
able to stream analog video in there. I am not sure if this is what you
want, but I will describe it.

Actually I didn't realize that the Sanako system itself does not handle
this (I saw a demo back in the Tandberg days that implied it did,
but....). However, our Sanako distributor installed the system and
hooked it into the Lab 300, and left behind a booklet describing how it
works.

They install a system involving a power unit, a control unit (V1), and
up to 8 distribution units (V2) each of which handles 4 stations. So for
48 stations you would need another console. The cost for this was about
$13000.

Each computer needs to have a WinTv card installed. We had no choice re.
which card to choose because we have slimline computers and only one
card fits.

Unfortunately there was some kind of problem involving both the card
drivers and our new login system, so that the only way the system
actually works in most situations is when the station is logged in as
the Sanako distributor <grin>. We are going to fix this over Spring Break.

Comments on this welcomed.

Judy Shoaf

LLTI-Editor wrote:

> from [log in to unmask]
>
> hello.. My university uses Sanako Lab 300. I would just like to ask the
LLTIers

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.