LLTI Archives

March 2007, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 15:06:23 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "dr thomas plagwitz" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "dr thomas plagwitz" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"
>Cc: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #8482 Server advice needed
>Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:35:13 -0000

Hi Chielo,

I may not understand exactly what your needs are, but I'll give it a shot:

At my previous institution, i ran a sanako lab 300 (turnkey solution) with
34 stations, a teacher station (pentium4 2.8ghz) and a w2k server (dual
pentium pro, 3*36gig 10k rpm in raid5) on a 100mbps network (IntelR PRO/1000
MT Dual Port Server Adapter). the sanako player was a branded and customized
version of real player, i believe.

When we had a full house, we only had to send audio over the proprietary
audio network of the lab 300 (teacher examinations), which worked well.

Video is a little more evolved: Sanako lab300 is not meant to "stream" video
reliably (dropped frames) from the teacher to the student using the teacher
screen to students feature, just still images or powerpoint.

So we either simply used an lcd-projector for classroom video, or let
students access clips individually from the fileserver (the teacher can
launch the video file on the student stations, but the student stations are
still going to hit the server individually).

I had video clips which i had compressed to mpeg4 from textbook accompanying
dvds - smallish 10-30mb clips, classes of not more than 12 students: still
hick-ups when attempting to do video-synchronizing exercises (with frequent
rewinding and forwarding - do not remember the video codec I had used,
definitely worth looking into for optimizing).

So we resorted to students downloading the clips first to their hd, in order
to work with them locally.

Sanako study1200 has a streaming server addon, I am not sure whether this is
w2k3- or linux-based, and have not seen it in action. Do not know whether it
might worth while looking into a similar solution for your needs.

HtH,
thomas
Cc:ed to [log in to unmask]: FTS ("Forget The Spam-filter")
--