LLTI Archives

March 2007, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 15:06:21 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "kate hammond" <[log in to unmask]>
---

>From: "kate hammond" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"
>Subject: RE: #8482 Server advice needed
>Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:41:51 -0000

Chielo

I assume you are locked into the media player that comes with the Sanako lab
otherwise I would change to vlc player, www.videolan.org , which has a small
overhead.  A faster server would help but it is really down to how fast you
can get the files off the hard disc and the network capacity rather than
processor activity.

We have seen a legacy Compaq DL380, 2 x 933MHz processors delivering 24
separate videos quite happily using about 30% of the bandwidth on a 100Mb
network.  However, the videos had been compressed and we would recommend
using Sorenson Squeeze, available in the USA, www.creationengine.com , at a
really knock down price for education.  You can retain the quality and
increase your reliability and delivery without spending a lot of money. It
is certainly worth trying.

Regards

Kate Hammond
Resources co-ordinator