LLTI Archives

March 2007, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 13:33:08 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 10:55:36 -0500
>From: "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"
>Subject: Re: #8472 Jules & Jim Interactif problems

Have you tried it on a regular DVD player using the DVD player remote for
control? DVD players are capable of running interactive content. It may be that
the DVD viewing software on the computers is just not that good at handling
interactive DVDs, whereas it might play just fine on a run of the mill DVD
player hooked up to a TV or projector.

David Flores
Director: Language Learning Center
Loyola College in Maryland
4501 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21210
Ph: (410) 617-5230
Fax: (410) 617 2859

>>> LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> 2/22/2007 1:17 PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 12:45:42 -0500
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>To: llti <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Jules & Jim Interactif problems

One of our instructors adopted this interactive DVD from
Thompson-Heinle. It is posing a problem because it will not play on many
computers. It has no helpful information about requirements (I am
guessing that Quicktime is needed but that is not specified).

The number one calls for help is pretty useless (oh, yeah, an
interactive DVD? Probably you need to upgrade your Flash...). The
instructor told me that when she sent an email to the address specified
she got a reply saying that address was essentially out of order....

For a while the only computer in our open lab where one could use it was
the one in my office. Two students came in with copies they had
purchased and tried it on that computer and it would not open, but our
lab copy would open every time.

The instructor wanted a classroom where she could demonstrate the DVD
and run through some exercises in class. She tried 2 different regular
classrooms but the DVD would not play (though it plays on her office
computer). So last week I tested it on the instructor computer in one of
our classrooms, and it played fine; I booked her into the twin classroom
(whose instructor computer drive is a clone of the one that played the
DVD).

Today we tried 2 different copies of the DVD on the two instructor
computers--the one in the room I assigned and the one on which I had
been able to run the disc last week. The results varied: sometimes it
crashed the computer (a "stop error"). Sometimes it just hung after one
clicked on the "open" button, continuing the process of opening for as
long as one might wish, but never actually showing the interface.

Is anyone else using this item successfully (or not) please let me know.

Judy

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.