LLTI Archives

February 2007, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 15:17:33 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 19:49:45 -0500
>From: Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ACTFL/HmCo/IALLT PostSec Tech/Ped Award
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>, NECTFL <[log in to unmask]>
>Cc: Laura Franklin <[log in to unmask]>,        Channing Horner

Apologies to those for whom the acronyms will be impenetrable!

The American Council for the Teaching of Foreign Languages asked me
to chair the award committee for this award which is sponsored both
by the Houghton Mifflin Corporation and the International
Association for Language Learning Technology.  As a very loyal IALLT
member (and now President-Elect-- thank you!!!!) I was delighted to
say yes to ACTFL.  Essentially there are two possible awards to be
given to a faculty member from a two-year community college and one
from a four-year college/University who can show how they used
technology in an exemplary and innovative manner to meet the goals of
their courses and teaching.  Nominees must have been ACTFL members
for three years and have taught for five.  There are a variety of
ways candidates can be nominated including self-nominations and
nominations from regional groups.  While it is true that many IALLT
members are not faculty and not eligible for this award, all of us
have worked with faculty who might well be excellent candidates for
this award.  I would heartily encourage you to pass this note on to
anyone you might consider qualified for this award.  Last year the
Awards Committee had very few nominees.  I am including the text
about the award from ACTFL in this note but also can send it out as a
Word attachment.

Very best to all, Mike

Mikle D. Ledgerwood, Ph.D.
Director of the Language Learning and Research Center
Tenured Professor of French and Technology and Education

In Fall 2007
Chair of World Languages and Cultures
Professor of French
Samford University

The ACTFL/Faculty Development Programs of Houghton Mifflin Awards are
presented annually to recognize excellence in the integration and use
of technology in foreign language instruction at the post-secondary
level. These awards are the outgrowth of collaboration between ACTFL
and the Faculty Development Programs of Houghton Mifflin Company,
with the International Association for Language Learning Technology
(IALLT).

These awards are supported by the generosity of the Houghton Mifflin
Company. The recipients each receive a $500 cash award provided by
the Houghton Mifflin Company.

Criteria for Selection

1)    Two awards may be made annually:

a)     one to a foreign language educator at the two-year/community
college level, and

b)    one to a foreign language educator at the four-year/university
level.

2)    Both classroom teachers and administrators are eligible for the
award.

3)    The recipient must be a current ACTFL member and have been a
member for at least the last three years.

4)    The recipients must have a minimum of five years' teaching
experience.

5)    The recipients must submit evidence of how they have integrated
the use of technology into their foreign language courses. Evidence
should include objectives and specific strategies using technology
that contribute to the attainment of the course goals within the
framework of the National Standards for Foreign Languages. Supporting
documentation may include letters from students, colleagues, school
or institutional officers, and student course evaluations. This
documentation may be submitted via a multimedia presentation, i.e.,
Power Point, a short video, a website, etc.

N.B. If a multimedia presentation is chosen as the medium of
presentation, five (5) copies, whose length does not exceed five (5)
minutes, must be provided.

Procedures for Nominations

1)    Self-nominations are permitted and must be accompanied by a
letter of support from the instructor's school or institutional officer.

2)    The COVER SHEET found at the end of this section MUST be the
first page in the nomination dossier.

3)    Include the following items in the nominating dossier (in order):

a)     Nominating cover letter from the school or institution, or in
the case of self-nominations by instructors, a nominating letter from
an officer of the school or institution.

b)    Curriculum vitae of the candidate (length must not exceed 10
pages).

c)     Evidence of the use of technology in the course, including a
rationale for the use of technology and how its use helped students
attain the goals of the course.

d)    Three (3) letters of support clearly explaining the rationale
for the choice of this candidate.

e)     Other documentation, e.g., student course evaluations, copies
of newspaper articles or other materials, as appropriate.

4)    Nominations must be sent directly to the Chairperson of this
award committee by the deadline.

5)    No member of the ACTFL Board of Directors or Officer may write
a letter of support for any award nominee or actively shepherd the
nomination of an award candidate.  If a dossier packet is resubmitted
that contains a support letter written prior to the establishment of
these guidelines, that letter will be removed from the packet by the
Committee Chair.

6)    No member of the ACTFL Board of Directors, Officer, or
contracted employee is eligible for nomination for any award while
holding these positions.

IMPORTANT

Nominations in excess of fifteen (15) pages (excluding the curriculum
vitae) will not be accepted.  This includes nominations submitted on
CD or through other electronic means. Nominations must not be longer
than 15 pages when printed. The nominating dossier must not be
stapled, placed in scrapbooks, etc., or attached in any manner other
than an elastic band or a large office clamp. This will facilitate
the duplication of the dossier and its circulation to members of the
selection committee. If a multimedia presentation is the medium
chosen for submission of evidence, five (5) copies must be provided
whose length does not exceed five (5) minutes.

Procedures for the Selection Committee

1)    As soon as possible after the deadline for submissions, the
Committee Chairperson will circulate copies of the nomination
dossiers to members of the committee.

2)    Committee members review and rank nominations according to the
criteria on the following pages of the Handbook and return their
evaluations to the Committee Chairperson by the date specified.

3)    At the discretion of the Committee, the award may or may not be
presented during a given year.

Deadlines

$E1      Nominations to the Chairperson postmarked on or before: May
27, 2007.

$E1      Copies of all documentation pertaining to the winner sent to
the ACTFL Executive Director: September 14, 2007.

$E1      Copies of all documentation pertaining to finalist(s) returned
to individual(s) who submitted them: September 14, 2007.

$E1      Award Chairperson submits a 200-word statement on why the
recipients were chosen:

$E1      September 30, 2007.

$E1      Winner submits 150-word acceptance remarks to be printed in
Awards Ceremony Brochure: September 30, 2007.

Previous Recipients:

2006: Sue Barry, Auburn University, Auburn, AL;  2005: Donna Van
Handle, Mount Holyoke College, MA; 2004: Tony Erben, University of
South Florida; 2003: James Pusack & Sue Otto, University of Iowa,
Iowa City, IA; 2002: Teresa Kennedy, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID;
2001: Anne Green, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh PA;  2000:
Jean LeLoup, SUNY-Cortland, Cortland, NY; 1999: Michael Bush, Brigham
Young University, Provo, UT.

To submit nominations, follow the procedures carefully and submit the
nominating dossier to the 2007 Chairperson:

Dr. Mikle D, Ledgerwood, Chair

ACTFL/IALLT/Houghton Mifflin Award

45 Skylark Lane
Stony Brook, NY 11790
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Mifflin Award Appendix - 1

Selection Criteria

[For use by the Selection Committee]

Total number of points: 50

_____  1.   Innovative/original approach that integrates technology
into course or program. (10

points)

_____  2.   Rationale for use of technology to attain learning
outcomes. (5 points)

_____  3.   Demonstrated improvement of student learning through use
of technology. (5 points)

_____  4.   Impact on course or program within the candidate's
institution. (5 points)

_____  5.   Varied strategies to affirm use of technology. (5 points)

_____  6.   Relationship to the framework of National Standards. (10
points)

_____  7.   Attainment of projected outcomes. (5 points)

_____  8.   Potential for widespread replication. (5 points)

Mifflin Award Appendix - 2

Cover Sheet for

The ACTFL/FDP-Houghton Mifflin Awards for Excellence

in Foreign Language Instruction Using Technology

with IALL

This Sheet Must Be The Top Page Of The Dossier.

Candidate Information

Name

Institution

Present Position

Current Address

Telephone: Office (___) ______________ Home (___) ________________

E-Mail Address _____________________________________________

Member of ACTFL since __________

Include the following items in the nominating dossier (in order):

a)    Nominating cover letter from the school or institution, or in
the case of self-nominations by instructors, a nominating letter from
an officer of the school or institution.

b)    Curriculum vitae of the candidate (length must not exceed 10
pages).

c)    A description of the integration of technology into the course.
Evidence should include objectives and specific strategies using
technology that contribute to the attainment of the course goals
within the framework of the National Standards for Foreign Languages.

d)    Letters of support clearly explaining the rationale for the
choice of this candidate.

e)    Supporting documentation, e.g., student course evaluations,

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.