LLTI Archives

January 2007, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 14:16:54 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Streaming Solutions
>Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:29:44 -0500
>From: [log in to unmask]

Hello everybody:

Over the years I have posted a few inquiries and you have probably noticed that
we are always looking for new and improved streaming solutions.  We deliver
quite a bit of audio and video online now, but we are not so happy with our
Quicktime Streaming Server since we encounter more and more quirks: computers
that stop playing content and idle forever with the blue bubbles of death.

To cut a long story short, we are thinking about looking into a new streaming
direction, and Real Helix Server comes to mind.  Do any of you have experience
with Real?  Are you happy, not so happy, like to share your experiences? And
what about cost -- the company seems very secretive, prices are not mentioned on
the website (since I am not in the US currently I have not talked to a Rep
yet...)

I'd love to hear from you, about Real or any other solution concerning streaming
audio and video -- off-list is fine.

Best to all from   Jorg

 Dr. Jorg Waltje
 Associate Professor