LLTI Archives

January 2007, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 14:19:44 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from birone lynch <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date:         Mon, 8 Jan 2007 16:07:16 -0500
>From: birone lynch <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: http://www.fsi-language-courses.com/
>To: [log in to unmask]

note: it's not my website, but i'm using some of their courses at the
moment...  they're currently providing free access to public domain
materials produced by the US Foreign Service Institute (text & audio in most
cases) for these languages:

Amharic*
Arabic*
Cambodian*
Cantonese
Chinese (Mandarin - a HUGE course)
Finnish
French
German
Greek*
Hebrew
Hungarian
Korean*
Portuguese
Spanish*
Swahili*
Swedish*
Turkish
Vietnamese*

(*d material is incomplete, although in some cases there's just a tape or
two missing)

if think this project is worthwhile, and have access to a university library
with *original* FSI materials, then maybe you'd like to help by borrowing
and digitizing the materials not yet online.

scanning a large book is a major chore - in spite of which all the texts
currently available have been scanned by volunteers.

digitizing tapes involves very little work/expense.  each tape takes about 2
mins of human input, and apart from a pc, all that's needed is a tape deck,
some free software and a cheap cable.  the tapes are VERY expensive to buy,
while the books are cheaper (and often available secondhand very cheaply).

if you'd like to help, drop me a line or join the forum at
www.fsi-language-courses.com

thanks!

birone
...back to french object pronouns now :(

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.