LLTI Archives

January 2007, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 14:59:30 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Trip Kirkpatrick <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 09:54:05 -0500
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Trip Kirkpatrick <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8427 Storage/Server Issues

Quoth Ellen:

>What is your current practice vis-a-vis storage for larger media
>projects?  (Say, a French class with 5 student films with 12 gigs of raw
>footage each.)
>
>Do you run your own in-house languages server?  How large for how many
>students?

We maintain a system for instructors to use as they please: a directory
each for world-accessible web content, Yale-only (IP-based) web content,
CLS-only (IP-based) web content, and a fileshare. If they wish to store
student work in their space, they have to put it on there themselves. Among
the servers that house those directories, we've got 1.5Tb of storage (less
some Gb for server apps and the OS). These servers are backed up each night
to an independent server, whose contents are then regularly backed up to
tape. Tapes are archived for a time and then selectively deep archived or
reused.

>Have a piece of a larger campus server?

Yale uses a Sakai instance for online course management, so instructors do
have a separate location for course-based materials. We have nothing to do
with how that's managed, so I couldn't give you even an educated guess as
to the storage limitations. Yale piloted at one point a Xythos fileserver,
but that never went anywhere.

>Use portable hard drives?  Thumbs?  DVDs?

We also have an ad hoc system of portable drives as you mentioned (mostly
200Gb, like yours). I'm sure I'll come across as cavalier when I say this,
but I'm not terribly concerned about the content thereon. The drives live
in a room in our building, unless an instructor takes one elsewhere. We
feel like instructors are best equipped to decide how important and/or
secure the content is. (It doesn't hurt that the primary use of these
drives is for instructor work, investing the instructors a great deal in
protecting them.)

>How are you archiving projects at semesters' end?

See above.

HTH,
Trip

Trip Kirkpatrick