LLTI Archives

January 2007, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 14:19:20 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "Dartmouth College LISTSERV Server (15.0)"

>Date:         Tue, 2 Jan 2007 15:58:05 -0500
>From: "Dartmouth College LISTSERV Server (15.0)"
>Subject: LLTI: approval required (7801BAFF)
>To: [log in to unmask]

Greetings all,

Our languages curriculum is expanding to include more student-created
multimedia, which is swell -- but with curricular modernization comes
the associated snag of providing adequate storage space for these
projects, both mid-creation (particularly in the extreme case of hours
of raw digital film footage) and archival.  Students @ Bates have access
to their own server space but their quota is insufficient for anything
but small files.

I am currently using a couple of 200gig portable hard drives but this
places an untenable demand on my and my interns' time and compromises
the security of the saved materials, therefore am whipping up a new
server request for my lab. To get a best-practice sense of what's
working for others out in language-center-land, a query for you all:

What is your current practice vis-a-vis storage for larger media
projects?  (Say, a French class with 5 student films with 12 gigs of raw
footage each.)

Do you run your own in-house languages server?  How large for how many
students?

Have a piece of a larger campus server?

Use portable hard drives?  Thumbs?  DVDs?

How are you archiving projects at semesters' end?

thanks for any & all insights,

Ellen
Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.