MACSCRPT Archives

January 2007

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bill Briggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2007 16:02:53 -0400
Afternoon folks.

 Finally I get to expose this on the list.

 I'm going to give a bit of a shameless product plug, but I have no financial stake in the product. Just a satisfied user and beta tester who got the nod from the developer today to make the feature public on the scripting lists. And since this is the audience that would have an interest in the latest feature, here we go.

 If any of you are TypeIt4Me users you might be interested to know that the latest version will allow you to run AppleScripts by typing a mnemonic of your choosing. I've been using a working version of this for about three + months now and it's pretty convenient.

 Type it for me normally acts as a typing expander; for example, when I type "sor" my Mac spits out "Sorry for the delay in replying." You set up your own expansions list and the abbreviations you want to use to trigger them. It'll also do date and time stamps and other convenient things.

 But the new version allows you to put in AppleScripts in the text expansion field and when preceded by a special character (to indicate to TypeIt4Me that it's an AppleScript), your script runs. For example, in my setup typing "gg" followed by a space pulls up a browser window with the Google main page. I've been using numerous other such expansions.

 I've used TypeIt4Me for about 8 years now and it has saved me from typing millions of characters. Now it's even more useful as many of my frequently used scripts can be triggered from any application by typing a mnemonic. No nee to touch a mouse and doesn't involve F-keys. Just leave your fingers on the home position and type the shorthand. Pretty convenient.

 That's all I wanted to say. If you're not already using a typing expander it's well worth a look.

 - web

(cross posted to the MacScripting list)