LLTI Archives

November 2006, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:23:25 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:59:16 -0500
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #8380.1 (!) Students'job responsibilities?

One problem I have with lab assistants is that they have to know a
*huge* amount but often don't have much to do--a lot of downtime. This
makes the job attractive (getting homework done) but does not make for a
strong work ethic. In the days of audiocassettes, there would be
competition to see how many tapes one could dub in an hour! Now it's
more likely to be a situation where I have to get an assistant up to
speed in assisting a particular instructor on how to run a particular
lab, or how to divide up an audio recording into segments appropriate
for the Web.

Judy Shoaf

LLTI-Editor wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from "Patricia Early" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>

>>Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:16:43 -0500
>>From: "Patricia Early" <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

>>Subject: Re: #8380 Students'job responsibilities?
>

> Hi Janet,
>
> We hire work-study students to work in the lab, primarily as front-desk staff.
> However, I always try to hire among the language classes first.  It just seems
> to me that the committment to the job is higher among students who already
value
> language learning and the services the LARC offers.  I post flyers in the
LARC,
> and ask the instructors to make the following announcement (after my
signature)
> available to their classes.  This method has always served me well.  In
> addition, I sometimes ask valued work-study students if they have any friends
> who receive work-study who might be interested in working in the LARC.
>
> I've had mostly VERY positive experiences with work-study students, with only
> one or two students that demonstrated a weak work-ethic or no responsibility
for
> the job.  I think that hiring from within the language students seems to help.
>
> Regards,
> Trish Early
> Language Lab Coordinator, Georgia State University
>
> ***************************************
> Do you have Work Study?
> Interested in Languages?
> The Language Lab wants YOU!!!
>
> The Language Lab in 128-GCB is looking to hire at least two (2) Work-Study
> students for Spring Semester.
>
> The Language Lab is a great place to work, with a fun and committed staff of
> student assistants and graduate assistants.  You$E2ll gain valuable computer
> skills, learn about the inside workings of a computer lab, assist in
specialized
> class setups, gain audio-visual technical skills, and have the opportunity to
> enhance your language studies.
>
> Qualifications: A friendly and energetic ability to assist students and
faculty
> in the lab, an ability to work independently, knowledge of a foreign language
or
> interest in international languages and cultures an advantage. Familiarity
with
> computers and desktop support helpful, but not required. Must be eligible for
> Federal Work-Study Assistance.
>
> Job Description: Primary student responsibilities include answering the
> telephone, checking language students into the lab, assisting students with
> materials and resources, duplicating tapes and/or cd's as required by the lab
> coordinator, and other tasks as needed.
>
> If interested, please contact Trish Early at
> [log in to unmask] or visit her in 128-GCB.

> PM >>>

**
Teaching and Learning (http://www.languageconsortium.org/).
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.
Otmar K. Foelsche, LLTI-Editor ([log in to unmask])
**