LLTI Archives

November 2006, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 04:57:57 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:33:48 +0200
>From: Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: English language teaching position
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Cc: Lygia Antoniou <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Colleagues,

Below is an announcement for an English language teaching position in the
Language Center of the University of Cyprus.

For your information, the A8 salary level equates to about US$28,000, which
is a quite reasonable salary in Cyprus (equal to about twice the national
average) and income tax deductions are minimal.

An EEP position is the equivalent of a renewable lectureship/tutorship
appointment, i.e., it is not a tenure track professorial position. The
nominal teaching workload is 450 hours, i.e., the equivalent of 5 courses (x
3hrs) for 30 weeks. The academic year is organized in two 14-week semesters:
Fall (beginning of September until the Christmas break in December)  and
Winter (end of January - end of May). There is a two week (Orthodox) Easter
break which comes towards the end of the second semester. Although there are
no summer courses,  EEP faculty are required to be on campus during the
months of June and July and engaged in curricular activities (course design,
development, evaluation, pedagogical innovation, instructional technology
initiatives, professional workshops, etc.).  Please note the application
deadline of December 8 since the administration is very strict about this.

If you are interested in applying, please feel free to contact me for any
further information you might require.   Jack
--
Professor Jack Burston
Director

VACANT POSITION- SPECIAL TEACHING STAFF

The University of Cyprus is accepting applications for one full-time
teaching (EEP) position for teaching English,  within the Language Centre.

Starting date: 2007-2008 Academic Year, or sooner if possible.

Qualifications
(Near) Native-speaker language competence.
MA in Modern Languages (and preferably language teaching specialization or a
background in a related discipline e.g., education, academic writing,
instructional design, instructional technology).
Practical teaching experience in the language taught (normally three years
full-time equivalence at university level). A knowledge of Greek would be an
asset.

Responsibilities
In addition to teaching language courses in their area of specialization,
EEP faculty are responsible for syllabus design, course content, testing and
course administration (including supervision of part-time instructors). EEP
faculty are expected to keep abreast of developments in pedagogical
methodologies, second language acquisition and testing research, and
instructional technology applications.  They are expected to use such
expertise to provide leadership and support for pedagogical innovation and
related projects within the Language Center.

Conditions of Employment
EEP faculty are initially hired on an renewable annual contract at an entry
level of A8.

Application
Interested candidates should send to the address indicated below the
following documentation written in English:
1)    A cover letter, summarizing their professional qualifications and work
experience.
2)    A full curriculum vitae.
3)    Official copies of diplomas and degrees awarded, alongside a notarized
translation into the appropriate language if not in English.

Candidates should also include three letters of recommendation, written in
English or Greek, from referees familiar with their qualifications and work
experience.

All the above should be delivered by hand to the "Human Resources Services,
University of Cyprus, Panepistimiuopolis, Nicosia" the latest by the 08 of
December, 2006. Alternatively, applications may be sent by post in an
envelope where the postal stamp date is clearly shown. Applications having a
clear post mark on or before 08 of December sent to the following address,
P.O. Box 20537, CY-1678 Nicosia and delivered to the Human Resources
Services the latest by the 15 of December 2006 will also meet the prescribed
deadline.
For further information, the candidates may contact the Language Centre at
+357 22-89-2909.

**
Teaching and Learning (http://www.languageconsortium.org/).
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.
Otmar K. Foelsche, LLTI-Editor ([log in to unmask])
**