LLTI Archives

November 2006, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 04:57:15 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "Patricia Early" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:16:43 -0500
>From: "Patricia Early" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"
>Subject: Re: #8380 Students'job responsibilities?

Hi Janet,

We hire work-study students to work in the lab, primarily as front-desk staff.
However, I always try to hire among the language classes first.  It just seems
to me that the committment to the job is higher among students who already value
language learning and the services the LARC offers.  I post flyers in the LARC,
and ask the instructors to make the following announcement (after my signature)
available to their classes.  This method has always served me well.  In
addition, I sometimes ask valued work-study students if they have any friends
who receive work-study who might be interested in working in the LARC.

I've had mostly VERY positive experiences with work-study students, with only
one or two students that demonstrated a weak work-ethic or no responsibility for
the job.  I think that hiring from within the language students seems to help.

Regards,
Trish Early
Language Lab Coordinator, Georgia State University

***************************************
Do you have Work Study?
Interested in Languages?
The Language Lab wants YOU!!!

The Language Lab in 128-GCB is looking to hire at least two (2) Work-Study
students for Spring Semester.

The Language Lab is a great place to work, with a fun and committed staff of
student assistants and graduate assistants.  You$E2ll gain valuable computer
skills, learn about the inside workings of a computer lab, assist in specialized
class setups, gain audio-visual technical skills, and have the opportunity to
enhance your language studies.

Qualifications: A friendly and energetic ability to assist students and faculty
in the lab, an ability to work independently, knowledge of a foreign language or
interest in international languages and cultures an advantage. Familiarity with
computers and desktop support helpful, but not required. Must be eligible for
Federal Work-Study Assistance.

Job Description: Primary student responsibilities include answering the
telephone, checking language students into the lab, assisting students with
materials and resources, duplicating tapes and/or cd's as required by the lab
coordinator, and other tasks as needed.

If interested, please contact Trish Early at
[log in to unmask] or visit her in 128-GCB.

>>> "Otmar Foelsche, LLTI -Editor" <[log in to unmask]> 11/10/2006 3:07
PM >>>