MACSCRPT Archives

November 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 13:17:09 +0000
John A.M. Darnell wrote:

> I stumbled across a freeware version of widgets called wxWidgets
> which may
> be used in Perl and Python.  Is this a dependable package, or is it
> buggy?

I believe it's a good choice if you're doing cross-platform
development. Qt may also be worth checking out, though the licensing
isn't as liberal (GPL or commercial vs. wx's relaxed LGPL variant).
And don't forget Tk, although I have the impression it's not as good
on Mac OS as other platforms.

OTOH, if you're doing Mac-only development then Cocoa is probably the
natural choice. For Perl and Python bridges, see PerlObjCBridge/
Camelbones and PyObjC; for Ruby see RubyCocoa. I've used PyObjC a bit
and it's very good.

HTH

has
--