MACSCRPT Archives

October 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2006 15:15:39 +0100
Emmanuel wrote:

> has, it's great that you provide those bridges with AppleScript,
> which should significantly on the long term widen the audience for
> our preferred (your most despised?) language. Thanksk much for your
> time and care on those projects.

Cheers; I hope Mac scripters enjoy using them. Application
scripting's one of the great gems in OS X, so it'll be great for
everyone if they help to 'spread the religion'.

And hey, folks: if you do like (rb-)appscript, don't forget to tell
your friends and help get the word out! :)

> Out of curiosity, no connection either with
> <http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyosa/>?

Separate projects, although I have spoken to the author and provided
some advice and feedback. Actually, I had been planning to do a Ruby
port when RubyOSA was first announced, but felt it fair to give
RubyOSA first crack as it got started first. Anyway, I (re)started
the rb-appscript project last week, partly as RubyOSA was taking a
while and I disagreed with some of its design decisions, and partly
because I had a sudden hankering to find out just how hard porting
appscript would be. (I'm hoping there'll be several more ports done
over the next year; anyone interested in porting appscript to their
language of choice is welcome to mail me directly and we can discuss
further.)

Incidentally, the 0.1.0 release of RubyOSA is due sometime in the
next week or so, so once it's out folk can see how they stack up
against one another for themselves. Admittedly, appscript has a three-
year headstart in R&D and a two-year headstart in field-testing and
refinements, so you can probably guess which one I'll be putting my
money on at this point...<g> but either way may the best bridge win.

Cheers,

has

p.s. Re. AppleScript: I've a lot of respect for what the original
designers tried to achieve and think the desire to provide true end-
user programming is a very noble goal. AppleScript itself may only
have been partially successful in getting there, but even so it was a
ballsy, visionary experiment for its time and one others can and
should learn by.

p.p.s. Folk that are interested in AppleScript's aims and history
will enjoy the following: <http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/wcook/
Drafts/2006/AppleScriptHOPL.pdf>

--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/