MACSCRPT Archives

October 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Peter N Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:26:14 +0800
>An elderly person asked me to update his Mac OS 9 system to Tiger, but he
>uses Think Pascal 4, which I don't know at all. Can someone tell me if Think
>Pascal 4.0 be used without any problems under Tiger? (And if not, what would
>you suggest? :)) (Upgrading to a newer version may well be an option, if
>necessary. But given his age I doubt that switching to another development
>environment is a good idea.)

THINK Pascal is long, long dead.

It might work in Classic, if you can still run Classic on the new machine.

Someone who likes THINK Pascal will likely not be at all impressed if
you try to get them using XCode!  THINK Pascal was a very nice, very
simple, very elegant program that you just hit a key and it compiled
and ran.

You can install FPC (Free Pascal Compiler) or GPC (GNU Pascal
Compiler) and there are templates and such for XCode (discussed on
the MacPascal mailing list).  But it will require a fair amount of
work to get going and a big re-learning curve to get doing anything.
There is no console window  or drawing window, or any support like
that, so if the user is using THINK Pascal and any of those features
to make simple Pascal programs, it is not going to be fun.
    Peter.

--
Check out Interarchy 8.2, just released, now with Growl support.
<http://www.stairways.com/>  <http://download.stairways.com/>