MACSCRPT Archives

October 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Philip Aker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2006 14:28:08 -0700
On 2006-10-22, at 08:56:49, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

> An elderly person asked me to update his Mac OS 9 system to Tiger,
> but he uses Think Pascal 4, which I don't know at all. Can someone
> tell me if Think Pascal 4.0 be used without any problems under
> Tiger? (And if not, what would you suggest? :)) (Upgrading to a
> newer version may well be an option, if necessary. But given his
> age I doubt that switching to another development environment is a
> good idea.)

I believe Think compilers are effectively dead on OS X. Actually,
CodeWarrior probably wiped them out 10 years ago.

What you'll want to find/supply is a set of Pascal templates for
XCode (google) and then train him in XCode usage. XCode is really
straight-forward and easy to communicate in person but rather awkward
if all you can say is RTFM. For instance you can set up key bindings
to match those of his previous compiler and probably adjust the XCode
window display behaviors to emulate the old compiler. Those factors
can be a huge help. IOW, his expenses are for the training not the
product.

Philip Aker