MACSCRPT Archives

October 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Walter Ian Kaye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2006 16:11:14 -0700
At 2:01p -0700 10/14/2006, Philip Aker didst inscribe upon an
electronic papyrus:

>I don't know anything about Eudora. I saw it on a friend's Mac in
>the  mid-90s and decided it wasn't for me.

It's the bee's knees, man! I've been using it since the early days
(v1.5?). Totally configurable (except for one thing*), and even lets
me edit *incoming* messages, which is great for fixing people's
ghastly misspellings. :D

>However, as a workaround type of solution, I think what you can
>reasonably ask is if the product will meet accessibility
>requirements  (i.e. be scriptable with "System Events").

Uh, you're joking, right? "Puppeting" a UI does not count as
scripting. If there are no "accessor functions" available, then it's
not scriptable. You have to be able to "get" and "count" and so on.
You know that.

>The criteria that an  application implement the requirements of
>those with special needs  might make it up the priority list.

I believe that everyone on the planet has special needs. Otherwise a
person would be just a robot. Cookie cutter apps for cookie cutter
people? Ew.

>These days, it's very easy to create a scripting dictionary  because
>.sdef files are xml files.

I don't think the data structure was ever the hard part. It's the
figuring out what to put in it, and implementing the functionality
which take all the work.

-boo
*wishing Eudora would let me tell it to prefer plain text on incoming mail.
(apparently Apple Mail has that as a hidden pref via 'defaults' command)