LLTI Archives

September 2006, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 14:10:44 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Otmar K. Foelsche ---

>Date: 25 Sep 2006 09:59:59 -0400
>From: Otmar K. Foelsche
>Subject: Position
>To: LLTI-Editor

--- Forwarded Message from "S. Tripp" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 11:54:10 +0900
>From: "S. Tripp" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Position
>Sender: Calico discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]

     FROM:     Center for Language Research
                  School of Computer Science and Engineering
                University of Aizu

SUBJECT:    Faculty Job Openings

                Two Positions:  Assistant Professor and Associate Professor
                     Status:=A0 Full-time, tenure-track
                 Environment:=A0 International, multilingual
working-environment, with equal
opportunities and benefits for faculty of all nationalities

                 Starting Date:=A0 April 1, 2007 (or shortly thereafter)

                Application Deadline:=A0=A0 November 6, 2006 (or until job is
filled)

QUALIFICATIONS:

Doctorate in Applied Linguistics, Technical Communication, ELT, ESP, EST, o=
related field
Scholarly publications, presentations, and professional experience
Native or near-native English-speaker proficiency
Ability to teach/research academic and workplace English for students,
faculty, and working professionals in computer science, IT, and related
technical/business fields
Intelligent, personable, innovative, and enthusiastic

DUTIES:=A0 Teach 4-5 classes per semester (one class is 90 minutes per week),
develop original innovative instruction, participate in projects, serve on
committees, conduct research, network internationally, and publish widely

SALARY:=A0 Based on experience and qualifications

BENEFITS:

Subsidized furnished housing in faculty apartments within walking distance
of the university
Large, well-equipped private office in modern building
New-employee allowance for computer equipment
Well-equipped, air-conditioned, high-tech classrooms
Annual budget for research, domestic conference travel, academic
memberships, etc.
Eligibility for one annual overseas conference trip
Internal grant opportunities for special research projects/conferences
Consulting and other business activities permitted
Subsidies for special extra-curricular classes
Winter utilities allowance
Two bonuses per year
Full-time employment till age 65 with retirement and health benefits
One-way transportation costs to Aizuwakamatsu
Shipping expense allowance
Scenic setting close to ski and hot spring resorts, national parks, rivers,
lakes, mountains, museums, castle, historical district, shopping, etc.
Two and a half hours from Tokyo by train

=0CSUBMISSION PACKAGE:

1)=A0=A0 Cover letter
2)=A0=A0 CV
3)=A0=A0 Copies of two best papers
4)=A0=A0 Three recent letters of recommendation
5)=A0=A0 Photocopies of university diplomas
6)=A0=A0 URLs of any online work or educational materials

All documents should be sent to the following address (hardcopy or digital)

=A0=A0=A0=A0 Professor Kesen
    Office of Planning and Management
=A0=A0=A0=A0 University of Aizu
=A0=A0=A0=A0 Aizuwakamatsu, Fukushima 965-8580 Japan

=A0=A0=A0    Attention:=A0 CLR Faculty Selection Committee

=A0=A0=A0=A0 Email:  HYPERLINK "mailto:[log in to unmask]"

The University of Aizu is the first university in Japan solely dedicated to
computer science and engineering. It has approximately 1,200 students at th=
undergraduate and graduate level, and about half of its faculty are
non-Japanese, coming from roughly 10 different countries.=A0 The University i=
officially bilingual and all official meetings/documents are
conducted/printed in both English and Japanese.

The University of Aizu is located in Aizuwakamatsu City, a historic castle
town of scenic beauty with a population of nearly 120,000. For more
information about the university, please visit our web page:
 HYPERLINK "http://www.u-aizu.ac.jp/" http://www.u-aizu.ac.jp/

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.