LLTI Archives

September 2006, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:09:56 -0400

What you want is Audacity.  It is free, runs on Windows and Mac, and
is simple to use.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

JP

Jonathan Perkins
Associate Director
Ermal Garinger Academic Resource Center
University of Kansas
4070 Wescoe Hall
1445 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence KS 66045-7590

Phone:  (785) 864-4782
Fax: (785) 864-1256

-----4-- from [log in to unmask]

Many of us use Audacity, free recording software that can save in MP3 or
Ogg formats as well as WAV.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Read Gilgen
Director
L&S Learning Support Services
University of Wisconsin - Madison
(608) 262-1408

-----5--  from [log in to unmask]

Hi Susan,

I've had very good success with a zippy little program called RecordPad,
from a company called NCH in Australia. They offer a decent trial period
to play with it and is not very expensive.  It has an almost idiot-proof
interface, which is great.

You can make little .mp3 (or .wav or .aiff) recordings and make all
sorts of adjustments in bitrate settings to to save space depending on
the need for quality.  You can specify their output folder and ALSO (the
kicker) have the program automatically email them to any specified
address or even dump them via ftp into a designated server directory,
from whence faculty can retrieve.

Perhaps worth checking out?  (Also check out their invaluable Switch
app, which comes bundled if you purchase.)  Find it at:

http://www.nch.com.au/recordpad/index.html

cheers,

Ellen

-----6--  from [log in to unmask]

Susan,

You're probably going to get a flood of these answers, and my guess is
that many will say Audacity! Audacity is an open source audio editing
program that works on Mac, PC and Linux platforms (the latter is
especially important to us given the number of engineering students we
have) - see http://audacity.sourceforge.net. We introduced this in
language curricula a few years ago, and it has become the standard
supported audio editing tool across campus. There are many other options,
some free, many not, so this is by no means the only choice. But it has
worked well for us for general purpose recording for many different
curricular purposes & multimedia projects. Saving in MP3 format requires
the additional download of a LAME MP3 encoder, but it isn't hard to set
up.

Best,
Samantha Earp
Head, Instructional Medai & Language Technology Services
Duke University

-----7-- from [log in to unmask]

We are using Audacity ( http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) it is free
and very versatile - maybe to much so for some.
We also use the DL recorder available from Dartmouth (great in its
straight forward design) - but as of now only can read not convert to
MP3. I understand they are working on mp3.

Wolfgang

-----8-- from [log in to unmask]

Hi Susan,

We use Audacity with the LAME mp3 encoder -
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

For the most part instructors and students find the interface easy to
use. It has some advanced features that are easy to ignore when they
aren't needed.

We have developed a few training materials, if your interested, which
can be found at:

http://babel.lss.wisc.edu/~doug/audacity/    and
http://babel.lss.wisc.edu/podcasting/

Thanks!

Doug

---
Doug Worsham
Foreign Language Technologist
AV Services Coordinator
L&S Learning Support Services
246 Van Hise Hall, UW-Madison
Madison, WI 53706
608/262-4965
http://babel.lss.wisc.edu/~doug/

-----9-- from [log in to unmask]

dl-recorder simplifies the recording process and gets away from the complex
interface of more sophisticated programs. It was built to replace the language
lab cassette recorder and provides the same functionality students and
instructors are used to.

Otmar Foelsche
Dartmouth College

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching