LLTI Archives

September 2006, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:09:59 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Susan Gehrlein" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:52:21 -0500
>From: "Susan Gehrlein" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8332 - CORRECTION
>To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

This looks like just what we need. Nice and simple. Sad to say that while the
students think they are computer savvy, all most of them can really do is send
email, chat, surf the net and maybe type a Word document. Ask them to do a
little more and you're asking for trouble. I'll still have to do lots of
training, but it certainly seems basic enough for even a college student. When
is the working version going to be available?

Susan Gehrlein
Director, Foreign Language Learning Center
University of North Texas
PO Box 311127       Denton, TX 76203-1127
940-565-2585 (tel)    940-565-2581(fax)

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/21/06 2:22 PM >>>

For those who are not familiar with dl-recorder: this is free software that
simulates the basic functions of a language lab cassette recorder. The original
version was able to read MP3 files, but could only save in wav format. This
release reads and saves in MP3 format by default. Blank recordings are also
saved into MP3 format.  (The Mac version has no progress bar on the Save process
yet - instead it changes color until finished with the Save Process. )

The new beta versions of dl-recorder are available

for Windows-based computers at
http://schiller.dartmouth.edu/dl-recorder/dlmp3.zip

for Mac OS-X based computers at
http://schiller.dartmouth.edu/dl-recorder/dlxmp3.zip

We apologize for the delay. These versions can be used in all non-commercial
environments. We appreciate feedback to [log in to unmask] More information
will be made available soon at http://schiller/dl-recorder.

Otmar Foelsche
Dartmouth College