LLTI Archives

September 2006, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:07:33 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Karl William Fisher" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 04:32:02 -0400
>From: "Karl William Fisher" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8321 Creating MP3s

Dear Barbara;

The IT folks at my new job suggest that sound files should be delivered
as true streaming audio.

In our case that is the QuickTime .mov format.

This allows dial-up users to get reasonable service.

I think that the larger file size would get you slower service with very
little perceptible quality.

It's like AM and FM radio. AM is fine for talk radio. For music FM is
better.

Hard drive space is not really an issue any more, but bandwidth is. For
foreign language audio, streaming with Real or QuickTime is the way to
go.

Best,
Karl Fisher
Lecturer in Spanish
NCCU
Durham, NC

>>> LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> 09/15/06 11:38 AM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from Language Archives

>Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:39:14 -0500
>From: Language Archives <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Creating MP3s

Language study at the University of Chicago is moving (fairly abruptly)
into digital delivery. I have captured audio from tapes as .wav files
(40 kHz, 16- or 24-bit). I want to convert these to mp3s files, but I
find that iTunes (which I am using right now) gives me three pre-set
options and then I can customize as I choose. Can anyone tell me what
perceptible differences they have noticed among these various options?
Good (128 kbps) and Higher (192) (both mono and 48 kHz) sound basically
the same to me, with a 13 MB difference in size for the same material.
What would 320 kbps get me? (Is there anyone out there doing phonetic
analysis of language audio?)

Barbara

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.