LLTI Archives

September 2006, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:07:35 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8321 Creating MP3s
>Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 09:36:41 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information International
Information <[log in to unmask]>

On Sep 15, 2006, at 11:38 AM, [log in to unmask]
wrote:

> Language study at the University of Chicago is moving (fairly
> abruptly)
> into digital delivery. I have captured audio from tapes as .wav files
> (40 kHz, 16- or 24-bit). I want to convert these to mp3s files, but I
> find that iTunes (which I am using right now) gives me three pre-set
> options and then I can customize as I choose. Can anyone tell me what
> perceptible differences they have noticed among these various options?
> Good (128 kbps) and Higher (192) (both mono and 48 kHz) sound
> basically
> the same to me, with a 13 MB difference in size for the same material.
> What would 320 kbps get me? (Is there anyone out there doing phonetic
> analysis of language audio?)
>
> Barbara

iTunes allows you to extensively customize the conversion of imported
audio. Go to iTunes Preferences, choose Advanced and click on the
Importing tab. You can customize the codecs for MP3, AAC, WAV and
others. For digitized voice, such as textbook audio, we use MP3
encoding at a 48kbps mono bitrate and 22.050 kHz sample. To our ear,
textbook audio thus encoded produces a very small file that is
indistinguishable from 128kbps (or higher) stereo with a sample of
44.100 kHz.

-John
John de Szendeffy
Multimedia Language Lab
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Boston University
890 Commonwealth Ave., 2nd floor
Boston, MA 02215  USA
ph			617.353.7957
fx			617.353.6195
lab			http://www.bu.edu/celop/mll/
personal		http://people.bu.edu/johndesz/

"A Practical Guide to Using Computers in Language Teaching"
http://www.press.umich.edu/titleDetailDesc.do?id=97662

CELOP is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program
Accreditation.  Accreditation by CEA signifies that an English
language program or institution has met nationally accepted standards
of excellence and assures students and their sponsors that the
English language instruction and related services will be of the
highest quality.

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.