LLTI Archives

September 2006, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:07:32 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 15:01:25 -0600
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #8321 Creating MP3s

As Barbara mentioned, iTunes has three pre-set options, and a "Custom"
choice for MP3 encoding bit rates, which reveals about a dozen options.  It
also offers the possibility of variable bit rate encoding.

An element in the decision of MP3 bitrate is whether you will preserve an
archive of the WAV files.  If you archive the WAV files, then you could
choose a fairly modest MP3 bit rate for the student listening files.  You
will be able to produce a higher quality MP3 file (or whatever replaces
MP3) when needed.  If you plan to dump the WAV files, and the MP3s will be
the archive, then you may want to record them at a higher bit rate.

I find 128 kbps to be perfectly acceptable to my ears for voice recording,
and we don't have student or teacher complaints for material recorded at
that bit rate.  However, I record mostly at 160 kbps and 192 kbps, because
I haven't had a space shortage for storing the digital files.  If I had to
digitize our whole analog collection, I would probably drop down to 128
kpbs.

Especially at the lower bit rates, I would use the variable bit rate
encoding option.  This option should offer better sound quality at the same
average bit rate, although I haven't done any listening tests.

Derek

--On Friday, September 15, 2006 11:38 AM -0400 LLTI-Editor
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Language study at the University of Chicago is moving (fairly abruptly)
> into digital delivery. I have captured audio from tapes as .wav files
> (40 kHz, 16- or 24-bit). I want to convert these to mp3s files, but I
> find that iTunes (which I am using right now) gives me three pre-set
> options and then I can customize as I choose. Can anyone tell me what
> perceptible differences they have noticed among these various options?
> Good (128 kbps) and Higher (192) (both mono and 48 kHz) sound basically
> the same to me, with a 13 MB difference in size for the same material.
> What would 320 kbps get me? (Is there anyone out there doing phonetic
> analysis of language audio?)
>
> Barbara

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center