LLTI Archives

September 2006, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:59:22 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 13:02:32 -0500
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Headphone/Mic Units?

We have been using, and have even recommended here the Califone 3066AV
headphone/mic combination.  It seemed very sturdy, was inexpensive, and
the quality of sound was good.

Unfortunately, we've been experiencing a rash of failures.  Most seem
to be broken wired (spinning the mic arm too far), but in some cases the
mic pickup unit is failing.  The number of failures is way too many for
us to ignore the problem, or to replace with the same model.

Two questions:

1.  Have any of you experienced similar problems?

2.  What's the latest recommendations for good headphone/mic combos for
use with laptops (PCs).  We have more than 75 to replace, so we can't
afford really expensive.  On the other hand, we can't afford really
cheap either, as we've found.  We'd like USB mics as well, but can live
with regular mics for lab applications.  Any suggestions?

Read Gilgen
Director
L&S Learning Support Services
University of Wisconsin - Madison