MACSCRPT Archives

September 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chuck Pelto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2006 12:28:37 -0600
On Sep 18, 2006, at 8:00 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:

> On 16-Sep-06, at 9:47 PM, Roger Howard wrote:
>
> We run Portfolio (server and desktop) and it's integrated into an
> AppleScript driven workflow that automatically takes in photos via
> email from our corros, embeds metadata, catalogs, then alerts the
> editors with an email that includes the photo caption.

Sounds like a very nice system.

But, as I recall, Portfolio Server is how much? $3500?

Sorry....that's a bit steep for something I think I can do with
REALbasic for an in-house activity. And, in due time I can build in
the AE-awareness.

And, as I said earlier, Portfolio Desktop won't let me look at all
the images in all their catalogs without having ALL the discs loaded.
Even then I have to access each catalog individually. And even then,
their system won't let me set my search preference default to
"CONTAINS" instead of their arbitrary "STARTS WITH".

Portfolio may work great, if you've got their multi-thousand dollar
Server version. But from MY perspective they are (1) overpriced and
(2) still living in the previous millenium.

Regards,

Chuck