LLTI Archives

August 2006, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 07:46:22 -0400
Hi Alex,

we have two iPod related projects in our Center that may give you some
ideas. One of the projects entailed creating podcasts and what we
called "langcasts" to promote our Department programs. Undergraduate
students did most of the work (write scripts, plan and get interviews,
edit sound, etc.). The project was funded by a recruitment and
retention grant from the university. There's more information
available at this website:

<http://www.language.iastate.edu/main/podcast/default.htm>

The other project was linked to a language class (Spanish). Students
created paper molas and then recorded an explanation of their work in
English and Spanish. The molas are displayed in our Center (some
pictures in the website listed below). We created a self-guided iPod
tour of the molas exhibit with the students' recordings. We have 10
ipods that students can check out to take the tour. There's a bit more
information on our site (the sound will be available soon):

<http://www.language.iastate.edu/main/center/molas/index.cfm>

In our experience with mp3 "gadgets," the iRiver mp3 player seems to
work well for direct sound recording in mp3 (better than iPods with
accessory mics). One advantage of the iRiver model we have is that it
can record voice or FM broadcasts without having to add accessories.
We use FM mics in some occasions, so it's nice to have the flexibility
of recording FM transmissions.

One last bit... the current issue of Campus Technology Magazine (free
online or paper subscription) features a podcast project that received
an innovation award. They used iPods in a study-abroad experience.

<http://www.campus-technology.com/>

Hope this information is helpful.

Julio

Julio C Rodriguez, Director
Language Studies Resource Center (LSRC)
Department of World Languages and Cultures
Iowa State University

(515) 294 3415
http://www.language.iastate.edu

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching