LLTI Archives

August 2006, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:35:43 -0400
Hi, Betty.

It seems that Yellow Earth is out of print and, also, has not been made into a
DVD.  You can use the http://www.imdb.com/ website to find out if a title has
been made into DVD format. Once you find the information page of the film you
are looking for, look over at the top right corner and you will see a box titled
"Shop". The box will tell you in which countries the film is available in which
format. I find it useful to know if a film even exists in DVD before trying to
hunt it down.

But both Facets and this website,
http://www.chinesetapes.com/movie_chinese/home.html, have Raise the Red Lantern
in DVD format. Another source I use, Eddie Brandt's, here in LA, has Yellow
Earth in VHS, in case you don't. Their website is http://www.ebsmvideo.com/.
They tout themselves as the best video store in the world, although they don't
specify which "world" they're talking about! But they do have thousands of
classic films. They're a bit eccentric, (a kind of kitschy-Hollywood atmosphere
pervades) so if you speak to them on the phone, make sure you get the person's
name who gives you information because the employees, all extremely
knowledgeable, seem to contradict themselves about the simplest things.

Finally, while http://www.cheng-tsui.com/ has neither of the two films that you
mentioned, it does have a variety of film, including historical, cultural, and
documentary films.

By the way, I had the pleasure of visiting your lovely campus last month!

Best regards,

Luz Forero

Luz Forero, Associate Director

Keck Language and Culture Studio

Occidental College

1600 Campus Road

Los Angeles, California 90041

ph: (323) 259-2843 fx: (323) 341-4940

***********

Betty:

According to the IMDB (http://www.imdb.com), MGM has the US distribution
rights for Raise the Red Lantern, for example, but that alas may have
changed. (distribution rights change frequently and are bought and sold
like commodities).  Try calling Facets, or even a smaller distributor
like New Yorker Films, and asking them if they know how to get in touch
with US distributor for this film.  I have found calling is much more
productive than searching the web, partly because this info changes often.

When/if you do locate the distributor, be sure to inquire about
acquiring the public performance rights (PPR) for the film.  The public
performance rights give your school the right to show the film outside
of the classroom, say, in a language house or at a film festival.
Without the PPR, you are limited to showing the film ONLY in a classroom
and as part of the class. What is more, w/o the PPR, the distributors
could come back and haunt you should they get news of you showing one of
their films at a public lecture, film festival, even in a dorm lounge.

Take it from me... we have experience in this and the fines are huge.

Hope this helps.

Barbara

--
Barbara Sawhill
Director, Cooper International Learning Center

President-elect, IALLT
http://www.iallt.org

Language Lab Unleashed!
http://www.languagelabunleashed.com (the show)
http://www.languagelabunleashed.com/blog (the blog)

**************

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280006468639&category=617
Yellow Earth

Raise the Red Lantern (1991)
Starring: Li Gong, Caifei He Director: Yimou Zhang
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BBOU5O/sr=8-1/qid=1155298979/ref=pd_bbs_1/1
04-0972252-8979154?ie=UTF8

Is this what you were looking for?
FJ
Muskingum College

**************
Betty:

As far as the ones you named, I found _Raise the Red Lantern_ on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BBOU5O/imdb-adbox/002-5331191-4699233
.
But I found it by looking it up on IMDB and then using their handy-dandy
link to Amazon. They also have links to Amazon Canada, UK, Germany, and
France. This still of course doesn't mean that everything has come out on
DVD. For example, _Yellow Earth_, to take the other you named, is only
listed via IMDB as being at Amazon on VHS.

Then again, searching "yellow earth dvd" on Google throws back a result (in
the product search results) for an eBay auction
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280006468639&category=617),
which could just mean that there are pirated versions around.

And on the third hand, another of the Google search results
(http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=290) says that it's only
available on VCD rather than DVD.

Tk

Trip Kirkpatrick