LLTI Archives

August 2006, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:35:45 -0400
Editor's Note: I broke this out of the other Podcasting Legal Guide discussion.
Alex's original questions is repeated for reference. -  TG

Waid, Alexander Ph.D. wrote:

> Hello,
>         I mostly watch what goes on in this forum and look out for
> ideas on how best to utilize my lab space, but I'm a faculty member
> more than a lab director, so a lot of things go over my head.   I've
> seen/read lots about using ipods in the lab environment, but I'm not
> sure why or for what ends or to do what activities specifically.  Can
> someone explain what they're doing or what they have seen others do
> with ipods in their lab?  Is it worth investing in ipods for a
> langlab?  If so, is there an optimum ratio of ipods to seats?  ?1 ipod
> for every 2 seats?,   ?1-1?, ?1-4?... Does having a turnkey lab setup
> (Tandberg in our case) take care of whatever functionality the Ipods
> would/could provide?
>
> Any and all ideas are welcome.
>
> thx,
> Alex
>
> Alexander Waid, Ph.D.
> Professor of Spanish
> Department of Humanities
>
> United States Coast Guard Academy (dh)
> 27 Mohegan Avenue
> New London, CT 06320-4195
> 860-701-6866

***************

Hi Alex,

We have implemented some iPod projects via our Language Resource
Center.  In one case, it involved sending students out into the
community armed with iPods equipped with iTalks to interview local
speakers of Canadian French.  These interview clips were then uploaded
and played on our class CMS installation.

Since these have been discrete projects involving only one small roving
student group at a time, we've gotten by with only a handful of iPods
rather than a one-per-seat model.  In the lab itself, I imagine that
Tandberg is vastly superior for basic stationary recording purposes.

[Caveat: to my knowledge, the currently available iPod mics don't offer
a high enough sample rate for the Flash player, so the files have to be
played using a QuickTime rather than Flash player if you want to embed
them on a web page or play via a LMS/CMS player.  This has been a large
enough drawback to make me consider other digital voice recorders for
our mobile-recording purposes.]

cheers,

Ellen Anderson

****************

Alex (and others):

I used ipods in my Spanish Conversation class.  We do not chain them
down or consider them part of the lab installation...I loaned them out
to students and added iTalk microphones and asked them to record
themselves or others speaking the language.  Some of the results were
really quite extraordinary when they were allowed to create and converse
on their own, outside of the lab, while walking, with friends, etc

If you would like to hear samples of some of their work, you are welcome
to visit my class' blog from last semester:
http://languages.oberlin.edu/blogs/hisp305/

Click on the individual students' blogs (on the left margin) and check
on the podcasts category within a students' blog.

Hope this helps.

Barbara

--
Barbara Sawhill
Director, Cooper International Learning Center

President-elect, IALLT
http://www.iallt.org

Language Lab Unleashed!
http://www.languagelabunleashed.com (the show)