MACSCRPT Archives

August 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
John Delacour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:01:50 +0100
At 3:12 pm +0100 7/8/06, has wrote:

>...The most serious bug I can remember is that list-to-Unicode-text
>coercions return truncated results if the original text contains
>certain non-ASCII characters (most of them, I think). You can avoid
>that by using (e.g.) TextCommands' join command instead.

Yes, well nothing seems to have been done to fix that bug.  Does
anyone know if Chris Nebel is still drawing a salary from Apple and
if so what for?

I think we've all learned to live with AppleScript as it is and use
other languages to taste.  I have yet to find anything to compete
with Smile for scripted graphic work.  The most depressing thing for
me is that not only are fewer and fewer new applications scriptable
but that the app-specific scripts menu is now a rarity (and Apple's
scripts menu is totally useless).  This was once the only redeeming
feature of Apple Mail, which now has practically none, and I fear
that when Eudora 7 is finally released, some time in the coming
century, we shall lose the scripts menu and linkable toolbar which
are matched for convenience only in BBEdit.  Any application that
doesn't allow the user to perform everyday tasks of any complexity
with key combinations is about as good as an app written for System
6.  I personally find almost all of Apple's own applications quite
useless, insubstantial and impossibly slow and of them use only
TextEdit, thankful that it's rather more clever than SimpleText and
notepad.exe.

JD