MACSCRPT Archives

August 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Philip Aker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 11:30:29 -0700
On 2006-08-07, at 07:12:11, has wrote:

>> Just remember that Hamish got married to Python a few years ago
>> and won't be called to testify against his spouse ;-)

> Funny man. Y'know, ain't wise to be casting stones like that, Mr I-
> use-the-AmigaOS-of-Programming-Languages... ;p

Garter snakes aside,

What I find interesting lately is that OSA started with something
like 37 calls on AppleEvent descriptors and XSLT started with
something like 37 function handlers on XML elements. A prime number
in case it's relevant. These are both excellent concepts with proof
by implementation. Following the "less is more" philosophy, the
question is if it's possible to devise a superset of these two
notions which is expressed more compactly yet delivers more? And for
base types, are array, boolean, data, date, dict, number, and string
enough.

> Also, AppleScript just massively pissed me off one too many times.
> Other languages may occasionally annoy a bit, but at least they
> don't induce full-blown psychotic breaks. :p

There's a lovely book at Swiss Cottage Library (off Finchley Road)
called Sacred Geometry. Can do wonders for those experiencing full-
blown psychoses.

ciao,

Philip Aker