MACSCRPT Archives

August 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Philip Aker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2006 11:39:41 -0700
On 2006-08-07, at 18:23:13, Walter Ian Kaye wrote:

>> What I find interesting lately is that OSA started with something
>> like 37 calls on AppleEvent descriptors and XSLT started with
>> something like 37 function handlers on XML elements. A prime
>> number in case it's relevant.

> Funny, just a day ago I found a fantastic page which discusses that
> number:
> http://www.archimedes-lab.org/numbers/Num1_69.html

Thanks Walter,

Lots of trivia and the links within the article proved valuable for
my query. There's no doubt Gianni Sarcone has gone to a some effort
but I'd like to mention that:

> Five is a very popular number in Chinese culture since it occupies
> the central position (one through nine) and also reflects the 'Five
> Elements Philosophy' - water, gold, wood, fire and earth.

it's odd to use 'gold' where as nearly everyone else uses 'metal'. Of
course I can see the relationship but I'm wondering if this is
idiomatic to Italian.

>> There's a lovely book at Swiss Cottage Library (off Finchley Road)
>> called Sacred Geometry. Can do wonders for those experiencing
>> full- blown psychoses.

> There was an exhibit of paper polygons called Sacred Geometry at
> the Cathedral of St John the Divine Synod House in NYC years ago;
> dunno if it's still there.

Sorry I missed it. Thing is, geometry is eternal concept in a world
where things are transitory. I'm sure it could help those afflicted
souls.

Cheers,

Philip Aker