MACSCRPT Archives

August 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Walter Ian Kaye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 18:23:13 -0700
At 03:12p +0100 08/07/2006, has didst inscribe upon an electronic papyrus:

>"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"

Yesterday I got a MySpace friend request from the Black Knight. :-)
Or is that knnnnnnnniggit?

At 11:30a -0700 08/07/2006, Philip Aker didst inscribe upon an
electronic papyrus:

>What I find interesting lately is that OSA started with something
>like 37 calls on AppleEvent descriptors and XSLT started with
>something like 37 function handlers on XML elements. A prime number
>in case it's relevant.

Funny, just a day ago I found a fantastic page which discusses that number:
http://www.archimedes-lab.org/numbers/Num1_69.html

>There's a lovely book at Swiss Cottage Library (off Finchley Road)
>called Sacred Geometry. Can do wonders for those experiencing full-
>blown psychoses.

There was an exhibit of paper polygons called Sacred Geometry at the
Cathedral of St John the Divine Synod House in NYC years ago; dunno
if it's still there.

At 09:01p +0100 08/07/2006, John Delacour didst inscribe upon an
electronic papyrus:

>The most depressing thing for me is that not only are fewer and
>fewer new applications scriptable but that the app-specific scripts
>menu is now a rarity (and Apple's scripts menu is totally useless).

Hasn't everyone switched to FastScripts yet?
I was thinking I'd found a bug, but now I believe it was just having
difficulty communicating with Safari becase Safari was fixin' to
crash. LOL.

>Any application that doesn't allow the user to perform everyday
>tasks of any complexity with key combinations is about as good as an
>app written for System 6.  I personally find almost all of Apple's
>own applications quite useless, insubstantial and impossibly slow

Yup, same here. iPhoto? WTF? I use GKON, man.

>and of them use only TextEdit, thankful that it's rather more clever
>than SimpleText and notepad.exe.

I only use TextEdit as a kind of scratchpad; I use Tex-Edit Plus for
all my real work. Tom Bender is God. :D

-boo