MACSCRPT Archives

August 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Philip Aker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 14:18:47 -0700
On 2006-08-07, at 13:01:50, John Delacour wrote:

> Does anyone know if Chris Nebel is still drawing a salary from
> Apple and if so what for?

I hope he's currently fixing the enormous bugs in OSA introduced in
10.4.

> The most depressing thing for me is that not only are fewer and
> fewer new applications scriptable…

Absolutely true. What has happened is that the whole concept has now
been bastardized to fit someone's obsession with Cocoa—just to prove
that they could do it. Instead of providing the auto-OSL resolution
at the Carbon level and then putting Cocoa high level wrappers around
it (like Cocoa Foundation objects are now mostly wrappers for the
lower level Carbon CoreFoundation objects), they've gone for the
direct implementation in Cocoa. This cuts out the bulk of the long-
standing MacOS developer community who would have been working in C/C+
+. And it cuts out those hopefully wooed developers coming from a M$
MFC experience. CarbonEvents and AppleEvents are strikingly similar
(over 95% concurrence). It's almost criminal that virtually nothing
has been done to advance the facilities at the Carbon level.

I'm not anti-Cocoa at all. In fact I appreciate the outstanding
design features enormously. However what's going on here is that the
engine is being placed in the front seat of the vehicle right on top
of the cup-holder. That's just plain dumb.

Philip Aker