LLTI Archives

July 2006, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2006 16:14:20 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Duncan Charters <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 23:09:42 -0500
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Duncan Charters <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8287.1 - 4 (!) Sony vs. Sanoko

We also looked at all the options when we purchased our new lab system a
year ago. We too were concerned with sound issues in a network-based
software lab, However, our experience has confirmed what we found from our
investigation, that a LAN-based lab today does not have to suffer from the
old problems of poor sound quality, delays and echoes that plagued earlier
versions. We made sure we installed sound cards that were more than
adequate to the specifications, and then we invested in a 1 gigabit
self-contained network connected to the system's own server right in the
Language Center (not just 1 Gb to the switch (backbone) and 100Mb to the
student stations as is the typical minimum recommendation). Today this is
not too much more expensive and should help any LAN-based system. We
purchased top-of-the-line headsets to make sure we had the best quality
audio as well as durability.

On the expense question between the two systems originally mentioned or any
others, it may not always be clear what is missing or inadequate in a less
expensive system. This is where checking with other users becomes
significant. We found out some essential information that way that had not
come out from the suppliers. IALLT's revised DLLS-2 guide will also be
helpful with some of the newer systems when that becomes available,
expected in just a few months, just as the first one was helpful in setting
out basic features in a comparative way for earlier purchasers. Another
factor in price is place of manufacture. A similar system manufactured in
the U.S. will typically cost more than one from Europe, which will cost
more than one from China. One has to look at the manufacturer- distributor-
dealer support network for each with some care. Some systems are more
integrated and sold complete, others have different levels or add-on module
options. Sometimes costs may be adjusted deliberately for competitive
reasons, too, as when the distributor of a new product is looking for
initial installations.

Our final choice of system was ReNet's ReLANpro (available through Renet
USA, distributed through ASC Direct). The SANS/Sony Virtuoso Major system
looked like a good option because the interface was familiar (we too were
replacing a Sony lab, the earlier 5510 Mk-II). However, it was more
expensive, and our faculty liked the familiarity of the more Windows-like
interface of the ReLANpro. On looking into this, we found that the whole
system was more Windows-based in its functions (and so less "proprietary"
in this sense) and made good use of media and text features already baked
into Windows XP. One other factor was video distribution. We have a Sanako
300 at our Upper School and without a dedicated video server the picture
has been on the dark side. The ReLANpro can stream bright, clear video
without delay on the gigabit network, on demand by multiple students from
the same source or multiple sources, from a standard Microsoft 2003 server
(or by the teacher from a video CD, DVD or VHS player). At the time we
looked at purchase options, for the SANS we would also have needed an
expensive dedicated video server for all the functions we needed. So while
no system is perfect and one has to judge which will serve best depending
on actual expected use, in-house technical support and a number of other
factors, we have found the quality of the audio and video clear and sharp
and holding up really well in comparison to a "hybrid" hardware-based
system. So LAN-based labs are well worth considering, as far as we are
concerned, as they definitely have arrived in terms of sound and video
quality when done right. If you're looking for audio primarily, get a
system that will meet that need and be easy to use by the teachers. I
believe audio pairing with teacher intervention has not been an easy
feature to implement on Macs, but I don't know if that was your problem
with eLangLab. It will be interesting to hear from people who have
implemented standard systems which usually require PCs on Intel-based Macs
- anyone out there yet, or waiting for the release of Leopard?  For us, the
video element is becoming increasingly significant in supporting the best
and most interesting experience for the students, so we were pleasantly
surprised when this turned out so well on the LAN, with instantly
available, clear and properly synchronized video and sound.

Chris, both of our installations are less than an hour away from you if you
would like to make a comparative visit, though you should probably do
Kansas City too as it's much better to look at the systems you are
considering in actual operation!

Duncan

Dr. Duncan Charters
Professor and Chair, Language Department
Principia College, Elsah, IL 62028-9799
Telephone: (618) 374-5252    Fax: (618) 374-5465
E-mail:  <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.