LLTI Archives

July 2006, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 13:34:38 EDT
----------1---  from [log in to unmask]

We had the same two final candidates for our lab three years ago.  We
chose Sony because at the time it's all digital product
(Virtuoso/Soloist) seemed farther along.  That may no longer be the
case.  We've liked the Sony.  One of major differences is that Sony
produces files in standard formats (mp3, WAV) etc. while Sanako uses
some proprietary codecs.  It's possible to convert these to mp3's, but
it's a bit of a pain.

Henry Wilmer
Director, Language Learning Center
Phillips Academy, Andover, MA
978-749-4201

---------2--- from  [log in to unmask]

We migrated from a Sony LLC-9000 to the Virtuoso Major system and
found the transition for faculty relatively painless.  Feel free to
contact me off list if you want to talk in more detail ... and we are
only a four hour drive away if you really want to see the system in
action.

Jonathan

Jonathan Perkins
Associate Director
Ermal Garinger Academic Resource Center
University of Kansas
4070 Wescoe Hall
1445 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence KS 66045-7590

Phone:  (785) 864-4782
Fax: (785) 864-1256

---------3--- from   [log in to unmask]

Over the past 40 years or so the Faculty of Arts have had many language
labs, including Sony and Tandberg (which is now Sanako).

We have just purchased a Sanako Lab 300 over the SansVirtuso and the
Sanako 1200.  The advantage of the 300 system is that audio and video do
not go through the network and as a result these critical parameters do
not suffer from IP collisions and potential delays.  Both the Sanako
1200 and Sans system have fussy requirements with sound cards.  You
would be well advised to make sure the sound cards you have will do the
job. When dealing with language labs, sound is very important and as the
Study 300 does not go through the network for audio, many potential
problems do not exist.

As far as teacher/student functionality the difference between the
Sanako and Sans is akin to choosing GM over Ford.  They both do the same
thing with a little different appearance.

Lee Ramsdell, Technical Supervisor
Arts Resource Centre
Room 130 - A1, Arts Building

Phone    780-492-2142
Cell        780-952-8820

---------4--- from  [log in to unmask]

Hello, Chris:

I was glad to see that you posted your inquiry in the LLTI list, I do
hope you get some comments.

I am not familiar with the Sanoko system--have we had a demo from the
representative? Does the Sanoko address our needs--they do go beyond
pairing and grouping, especially now that we can record the students'
work and be able to evaluate both indivisually and as a group.

Regards,

T. Johnson