LLTI Archives

July 2006, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2006 13:47:51 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:27:54 -0700
>Subject: Re: #8280LAB CONSTRUCTION
>From: Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

> ... we're working on the lab layout ...
> In the classroom, students need to be able to interact, and we need room
> for a teacher station and tech station.

Lorraine,

We have an electronic classroom (computers with Virtuosos/Soloist etc.) with
an 18" high platform that houses the teacher computer and worktables, TV
monitor, video playback equipment, etc., with a continuous whiteboard
backing behind it all (*lots* of space to write on).

This platform has been seen use when things were cassette-based (Tandberg),
and likely even back to distributed reel-to-reel audio, as far back as the
1950's.  The students sit in rows of lab furniture*, 2 seats per 'desk'
(with no sides or backs that rise up from the work surface), each row facing
the teacher, with an aisle down the middle.  Tower computers are below, and
flat-panel monitors, keyboard, and mouse on the desk.  The platform really
helps the teacher see the students (in all rows), and vice-versa.  If you
build one, you can run cabling underneath it.  It is very helpful to have
surface space for a student to place a book, notepad, etc.

* http://www.ki-inc.com/ is the manufacturer.

Bob Majors
Language Learning Center
University of Washington