LLTI Archives

July 2006, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2006 13:47:50 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Language Archives <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:39:49 -0500
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Language Archives <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Metadata and data management

The Language Archives of the University of Chicago is moving to get
its audio archive digitized and on line. We are trying to find out
what other archives/language centers do to make their collections
available (and findable to users).

1. What do you use to to create metadata for your audio files? What
metadata do you collect?
2. What data management/cataloguing system do you use?
Vendor-specific? Open Source?
3. What standards are unique to Audio Archives? In what schema are
they being used? (E.g., OLAC, IMDI, etc.)
4. How many catalogues are available online?
5. What kind of rights management is involved? (I.e., the UC/LA has
materials that can only be used by students on campus--and other
materials that are available to anyone who asks.) Separate vendor?
Built-in?

I will summarize if there is interest (and if I get replies off-list).

Barbara Need
Manager, Archivist
University of Chicago, Language Archives
	(formerly part of the Language Laboratories and Archives)

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.