LLTI Archives

July 2006, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2006 13:25:13 EDT
-----------1- from Eric Granquist <[log in to unmask]

Deep Freeze really turned things around for me--messing with windows permissions
was eating me alive before.  I'm a real skeptic, but this is one really great
piece of work.  Best of all is a combination of image-distribution software
(ghost, altiris, etc), and then lock them down w/ deep freeze.  Intelligent
support, too.

It's been my secret weapon for several years, and now I see our IT dept finally
buying it.

So far, I've been using standard, but we're going to coattail on our IT dept's
enterprise purchase this summer.

Good luck

Eric

----------2- from [log in to unmask]

Dear Tom,

I'm at Holy Cross and can't take credit for it but my predessor
installed and found it for ITS! It's amazingly effective against
invasive installations and it's so efficient that even I forget that
it's there (which can be annoying for re-installs)  If you don't have
the buy-in from IT or depending on the how much time you have, 38
machines does seem like enterprise level.  (And that would be a nice
step to standardizing your lab for updates as well if you have your own
server.)

I'd be careful with permissions settings but trial and error is how we
learn. I'm very happy with it.
-Holly

---------3- from [log in to unmask]

Hi Tom -

I'm using DeepFreeze Enterprise in 4 labs, approximately 100 machines
(both limited user and admin accounts).  The central console is
installed on an XP Workstation instead of a server because we really
aren't a Microsoft shop.  I would recommend the Enterprise version
because of the console functionality.  It allows restarting, thawing,
and freezing of single or multiple machines simultaneously.  I have
generally been impressed with the product.

We have DeepFreeze installed in seed form in our main image.  We
initially had some problems when imaging with DeepFreeze thawed, which
is why we moved to seeding.  The seed allows us to see the computers in
the central DF console.  We use the console to install DeepFreeze and
enable it.  We redirect My Documents to a thawspace in three of our
labs, but the fourth lab has everything frozen.  Norton is installed and
updates on boot.

I have had difficulties with the automatic update feature.  Supposedly
you can schedule a time for machines to automatically thaw, run Windows
Updates or other types of batch files, and then refreeze.  The scheduled
thaw happens, but my XP boxes don't necessarily update.  The console
makes it fairly easy to thaw the machines and run the Updates
independently, but it's a bit of pain. I'm waiting to hear back from
Faronics about the problem.

I think that the key to a successful DeepFreeze deployment is testing.
You have to be sure that everything is in place and working so you
aren't continually thawing and freezing.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Susan C. Weier
InfoLab Manager
Learning Support Services
279 Van Hise Hall