LLTI Archives

July 2006, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2006 13:40:08 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Sue Otto <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 16:00:50 -0500
>Subject: Re: #8271.4 (!) facility artwork
>From: Sue Otto <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Our Center walls are covered with flags (3' x 5' sized ones) from countries
that speak the languages we teach at the University of Iowa. They look great
and have drawn really positive comments from lots of people.  Visitors and
new students invariably stand there and try to name the countries the flags
represent. This tradition got started when one of our student lab
attendants, who collected international flags, bequeathed a few of his
duplicates to the Language Media Center when he graduated.  Inspired by
this, I went out and bought a bunch from a local store to hang when we moved
into our new space; and more have been acquired since then. We don't have
all the flags we own up at once (not enough wall space); so we rotate them
from time to time. The last flags I purchased were from Southwest Imports
(http://www.swimport.com/) and they were exceptionally inexpensive, given
the amount one usually pays for flags that size--schools qualify as
non-profit organizations).  It appears that you now must order minimum
number of 20 flags for a price of $5.95 per flag (plus $7.50 shipping).
(When I ordered them a year ago, I only got 13 and the flags were $7.50 each
(plus their $7.50 shipping charge.) So, if you are interested, you might
call and ask about whether they will sell you fewer if you can't manage to
come up with 20 flags you would like. (Picking 20 is easier than you might
think.) Even if you have to get 20 of them, it will cost you only $126.50
for a nice array of bright, colorful, durable, washable flags.

Cheers,
Sue Otto

Dr. Sue E. K. Otto
Director, Language Media Center
Adj. Associate Professor, Dept. of Spanish & Portuguese
   and International Programs
120 Phillips Hall
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA  52242-1323