LLTI Archives

July 2006, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2006 13:40:07 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Robert Summers <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 21:45:22 -0400
>From: Robert Summers <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #8273 Auralog/TMM recommendations

Norval,

I have been working with TMM at the University of South Florida for a
little over 6 months.  The software is impressive.  As you know the
amount of material that is included in it is expansive.  Students also
like the ability to have their speech scored and they like receiving
feedback on their intonation.

Epistemologically I have a couple of concerns.  I am not convinced that
comparing students' speech to native speaker speech is worthwhile.  I
would suggest that the software establish a baseline of the student's
speech and rate progress from that.

 From the lab administrator's side I have had problems on the server
end.   There is no way to archive and export specific speech samples
that are produced by students.  The method for setting up paths
(specific lessons or series of lessons) is rather unintuitive and I find
myself often referring to the manual.

Despite the praise that students' give the software there are also some
problems.  The interface is built entirely in flash.  This gives TMM a
sort of appeal that similar software does possess. Yet the designers
have placed the navigation buttons in odd places.  This leads to
confusion on the student's and professor's part.  We have therefore
established training to familiarize students and professors with the
software.

There is no doubt that this programs offers some of the best practice
for students to use their language, aside from actual discourse with
another speaker of their language.  But as with any piece of software it
is not perfect.

Robert Summers