MACSCRPT Archives

July 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Joe Barwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:39:53 +1200
Hello People,

I have a question about applescript & FileMaker Pro 6. I want to script
a part of FMP that is not ordinarily scriptable--i.e. there are no
commands for it in FMP's dictionary. I want to script the Export
Records function, using GUI Scripting, via macos x's System Events.
Unfortunately, it does not seem to work. Whenever I run the following
script, Smile seems to go into a loop, or else is perhaps "locked'--my
suspicion is that it is waiting for a return appleevent from the
'keystroke' command.

tell application "FMP6"
	activate
	do menu menu item "Export Records…" of menu "File"
end tell
with timeout of 5 seconds
	tell application "System Events"
		keystroke "o" -- just a test
	end tell
end timeout

If I dismiss the "Export Records to File" dialog inside FMP, I then get
a dialog from FMP saying "Before typing, press Tab, click in a field,
or choose the New Record menu command." Smile then "unlocks"/loses its
spinning pinwheel cursor. This makes me wonder if this is a legacy
issue--i.e. a modal dialog from FMP6 that predates macos x?

My question, then, is this: has anyone else had any luck in GUI
Scripting the non-scriptable parts of FMP6?

Cheers!

Joe