MACSCRPT Archives

July 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
John Baxter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2006 08:40:57 -0700
On Jul 2, 2006, at 6:36 AM, Duane Mitchell wrote:

> I have this idea that Mail.app started off as being intended to be
> integrated with the .mac accounts and the iLife products rather
> than just an email application.

Mail's origin was long ago at NeXT, before the acquisition.  And long
before iLife.  (I don't know how it compares with the earliest .Mac).

It is quite possible that it knows about Apple events which are not
exposed in the scripting dictionary (some of the iLife integration
might suggest that).

Also, if one is writing general code, one needs to look at .Mac
accounts, IMAP accounts (.Mac seems to be a special case of those,
where Mail knows some of the settings), Exchange accountsm, and POP
accounts.  At the moment, I'm primarily using .Mac and IMAP accounts
with Mail.

   --John (who has never had an Exchange account and would like to
keep it that way)