LLTI Archives

June 2006, Week 5

From:
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 13:25:35 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Jose Rodriguez <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Jose Rodriguez <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8271.1 (!) facility artwork
>Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:24:34 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Not necessarily artwork as you've requested, but just to give you
another idea... we decorate our language lab walls with plaques of
students who we honor each year for excellence in language study (in
each of our 18 languages) and also with framed portraits of our
language teachers of the year. The portraits are professionally done
in the their classrooms, so they have a very candid, active feel to
them. Students have commented that they like seeing their teachers
recognized this way.

Something to thing about...
Jose

On Jun 28, 2006, at 1:08 PM, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from "Luz Forero" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>> Subject: RE: #8271 facility artwork
>> Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 11:03:26 -0700
>> From: "Luz Forero" <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information
>> Forum"
>

> Dear Erin,
>
> We just renovated our language center, so I understand your
> dilemma. My
> colleague, Bruno Louchouarn, and I decided that for at least one of
> our
> labs we would have a photography contest for our students. The winners
> will have their work displayed for a year. If your multi-media
> facility
> is interdisciplinary, this is a nice way to tie it all in and have
> student involvement. Why not put some flyers up around campus (and the
> arts department) or put an announcement on your website to get
> students
> involved? You can make up rules about sizing, format, the medium, and
> the submittal process that make sense for your space and you can put
> together a team of judges from different disciplines -- or just you
> and
> your staff. If you come up with a theme that will entice students to
> think about technology and education, you might get the nice side-
> effect
> of student engagement...
>
> Have fun with it! It's not often that we in this field get to play
> around with what goes on the walls!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Luz Forero
> Associate Director
> Keck Language and Culture Studio
> Occidental College
> 1600 Campus Road
> Los Angeles, California 90041
> Ph: (323) 259-2843
> Fx: (323) 341-4940

-------------------------
Jose C. Rodriguez
Director of Technology: Emory College Language Center
office: 404.727.9351
cell: 404.909.2365
fax: 404.727.2257
http://languagecenter.emory.edu/