LLTI Archives

June 2006, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 14:16:14 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Daniel Meyers <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Daniel Meyers <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #8259 LRC Advisory Committees
>Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 15:08:41 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Originally, our advisory committee was formed to serve as a "check
and balance" system between the lab director and the four language
departments on our campus. This worked quite well, especially for new
or "green" lab directors or for those who were only in the position
for 1/2 year stints. Over time, however, our advisory committee
scaled back its previous position to be only a monitoring mechanism
and to serve as a sounding board for the faculty at large in the
departments in regard to the academic mission of our lab.

We meet once a semester, usually at the end, to discuss at-large
issues pertaining to the lab (e.g. budget cutbacks, funding probes,
grant writing, next semester prep, etc.) and to voice both the
positive and negative concerns of the faculty regarding the lab
director.

We have the following breakouts of staff:

Spanish and Portuguese: One main campus rep, once satellite campus rep
French and Italian: Once main campus rep
GREAL: Two main campus reps - one rep for German, one rep for
Russian, Chinese, Arabic, Hebrew, Japanese
Classics: Once main campus rep
College of Arts and Science: Ad Hoc rep (usually the lab director's
boss).

Expenses are minimal... none. One hour a semester for a meeting.

Powers: Has authority to tell the director what to focus on for the
coming semester. Lab Director's boss has final word on any additional
responsibilities that the director seems to be taking on.

Accountability: Nothing formal. No minutes, a half-page report sent
to the dean's office at the end of the academic year.

Membership: selected by volunteers or by the chair of each department
when no one wants to volunteer.

Communication: announcement made each year by the Committee of
Committees (no joke... we actually have an entity named this).
Volunteers are reported to the Dean of the college that makes final
assignments for all committees in the college, and then each
committee member serves one year.

Daniel E. Meyers
Interactive Language Resource Center
Irvin Hall 47 - Miami University