LLTI Archives

June 2006, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2006 13:58:34 EDT
from [log in to unmask]

I am interested in hearing from those of you who have advisory
committees to facilitate the work of your language center. I will soon
be in a situation where I will have the opportunity to form such a
committee as well as the terms of reference for the committee. My
initial perusal of the usual sources (ManMan, Journal issues, this
listserv) turned up less than I expected on the subject. While I would
naturally like to look at this question from a "best practices"
standpoint, I'd also like to hear about what to avoid as well.
Specifically, if those of you with an advisory committee could speak to
any of the following:

*	the mandate of the committee
*	the time frame - frequency of meetings / percentage of meetings
online vs. f2f /etc.
*	the resources required - staff, expenses, equipment
*	the powers of the committee - authority and limitations
*	accountability - reporting lines, to whom, in what form -
reports, studies, minutes
*	potential membership - who selects, selection criteria
*	communications process - who should hear about the committee,
how should information be communicated, etc.
*	evaluation format - how to measure effectiveness of the
committee

While I think this discussion would benefit the entire list, I would
also welcome any private responses.

Many thanks,

DOUG

Douglas W. Canfield
Director, International Media Center
Dept. of Foreign Languages & Literatures
Purdue University Calumet
IALLT Distributions Coordinator

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.