MACSCRPT Archives

June 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Emmanuel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2006 02:44:50 +0200
At 10:30 AM -0700 6/9/06, Stockly, Ed wrote:
>I'm wishing that any shell script I run inside terminal would run
>with the same results from do shell script, but it doesn't.

My 0.02 ¤ here, there are certainly plenty differences between
Terminal and do shell script, but one I think I know is that the
default directory in do shell script is the root level of the startup
disk, while in Terminal it's your Home folder.

In other words, for do shell script "myFile" is "Macintosh HD:myFile"
while in Terminal "myFile" is "Macintosh HD:Users:[you]:myFile".

So, scripts for one and for the other have to be different.

Emmanuel

PS
In case no one provided the URL, Apple's excellent technote about "do
shell script" is:
<http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2065.html>

PPS
I'm afraid Chris N finally quit here.