MACSCRPT Archives

June 2006

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Brian Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 11:56:00 -0700
One of my Applescript CGIs has been producing odd results from time to
time and I think I just figured out why...

If you run OS 10.3.9, try this script (all one line, modify the vol if..):

  tell application "Finder" to exists file "Macintosh HD:Library:Webserver:Documents:cgi-bin:nope.html"

(OMM this file does not exist, since there is no real 'cgi-bin' folder)

When run in SE OMM the script causes SE to display a "Finder got an error:
Connection Invalid" and then the Finder crashes.

Now try various path and file names (existing or not). Most will correctly
return false (or true) as appropriate, so long as the path doesn't imply
the existence of a "cgi-bin" folder within (an existing) "Documents"
folder. Those crash the Finder.

On my 10.4.6 server this script properly returns false for the bogus file
& folder, so either this was a bug that got fixed, or something more
subtle in the configurations between these machines, but I thought it
worth sharing.

   - Brian Johnson, Dept of Architecture, University of Washington