LLTI Archives

May 2006, Week 5

From:
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2006 09:52:17 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Barbara Sawhill <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 08:39:33 -0400
>From: Barbara Sawhill <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Blackboard 7.x
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Greetings:

My institution has signed a contract with Blackboard to upgrade from Bb
6 to  the Bb 7.1 Enterprise Edition this coming fall.  As a cost saving
measure (?) we have chosen to have this hosted off site.  Our campus is
a 50/50 Mac and PC campus.  We teach Spanish, French, Italian, German,
Russian, Chinese, Japanese, and Arabic...with Korean on the way.

I have been promised, many times over, that all of the language
"functionality" that I could ever need will be possible with this tool.
The problem is, we have yet to get our hands on it.  The release notes
for 7.1 are somewhat fuzzy when it comes to language support, and less
than enthusiastic when mentioning  how materials  in Bb will be
displayed on the Mac side of things.

I would be interested in hearing from LLTI'ers who have begun tinkering
with this tool.   What you are seeing with regard to language input and
display in the LCTLs (on both the Mac and the PC side)?  How does one
create a language pack for a language that is not part of the basic Bb
7.1 set up?  What are you seeing with regard to the transferability of
language files from Bb 6 to 7.1 (does anything break?) Is it possible to
make adaptative technologies such as Dragon Reader or JAWS work with
this version of Bb?

Remember, we are having this hosted off-site... are there any additional
challenges for language learning support with that scenario?

Please respond to the list...I somehow think others may be interested in
this thread as well.

Happy Memorial Day Weekend to all,

Barbara

--
Barbara Sawhill
Director, Cooper International Learning Center

President-elect, IALLT
http://www.iallt.org

"The plural of anecdote is -not- data"

Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.